Thursday, June 2, 2011

One of Those Days


Sometimes you have time to do certain things and it's amazing. I put a piece of prosciutto on my last chunk of bread early last night and thought, hey, I should make a dough that will rise overnight and in 14 hours I'll have a loaf of bread. I could do this, of course, because I'm taking the day off today to pack and run errands. So I did. Now I'm distracting myself writing this post to avoid sticking a serrated edge into my not-yet-cooled loaf of goodness. It smells really nice in here. This is not a new recipe. You've probably made it a hundred times like me. It's that no knead loaf that was all the hype a few years ago. I like it. It's a good honest piece of bread. I still like to knead and make other loaves with different flours because this one doesn't allow much variation, but it's got a good spongy crumb and it's pretty foolproof... but don't even dream of making it in humid weather. It will not work. Trust me.

Ingredients

3c flour (it's gotta be white guys, sorry)
1/4 tsp INSTANT yeast
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2c warm water
cornmeal or bran for coating

I'm not gonna type up a recipe because you can watch Jim Lahey do it, himself. Here is how!

2 comments:

  1. Perfection. I hope you waited for it to cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful! Now that's willpower. I've never made the famous no-knead because I, like you also like to knead. Sounds like it's worth a try though.

    ReplyDelete